Sunday, August 9, 2009

Watching you, Watching me, Watching....


I went out back to clean our porch chairs. They were turning black. Dust, mildew or something. They're vinyl, so it should have been easy to just hose them off, give them a scrub and let them dry in the sun. As I was carrying out the first one, Edward spotted a hawk lift out of the ditch and land in a nearby tree. He'd caught himself some lunch. Time for some green frog tartare... I sent Edward in after the camera and kept an eye on him. Then I watched him for the next 15 minutes as he polished off the frog.

It was a Red Shouldered Hawk. He seemed perfectly comfortable standing there, having his lunch while I clicked away with the camera. Then he cleaned his beak, and looked around. Several times he looked my way. I seemed hardly worth notice. I was after all about 100 feet away, across a ditch and behind a chain link fence.

The classic rock band Jethro Tull had a song that seemed appropriate... and do you ever get that feeling....

"He's watching me watching you watching him watching me
I'm watching you watching him watching me" - "Watching Me Watching You"
-Jethro Tull

No comments:

Post a Comment