Monday, December 31, 2012

Lost Snake

Looked up from the computer the other day to see a squirrel hopping around on the driveway... over a snake.  Made me think the squirrel had a death wish.  At first and from far away glance, I thought it was a rattler.  We've seen them here before.

  I went to grab the camera as Edward headed out.  That's me, camera first, safety second.  Or at least that was the case with the alligator.  As I got there Edward said it's not a ratter.  Yeah, I said, looks like a python.

  A Ball Python, to be exact.  The poor thing was looking for a spot of warm sun on the cold driveway.  It was a chilly day, high maybe 60F.  Cold weather for a snake. I'm not exactly sure what the squirrel thought it would accomplish, but it moved off after we got out there.

  Now what?

  We wanted to catch the snake.  It's a non-native species, and non-native species are wreaking havoc in the Everglades.  This guy also looked like someone’s pet.  I got my garden gloves and we got a box.  By the time I got back out there the snake was off the driveway and at the base of the oak tree.  I distracted it with one hand and picked it up with the other.  Not much fight in the guy, he was in a torpor from the weather.

  Again, now what?

  I walked next door to ask if they had a snake.  Yes.  Did it get loose?  No.  Would you like another one?  No... well.  At that point the oldest daughter said, "I want to see it..."

  So they came over and took a look.  He was a beautiful snake.  Shades of light and dark brown with a light colored belly, maybe 18 inches long.  Full grown for a Ball Python.  My neighbor noticed some of his side scales were roughed up.  Maybe the squirrel had scored a hit, counted coup.  We'll keep him, she said.  We have a spare cage.

  So they took the snake in and will give him a home.  Maybe put up a sign: "Lost snake."  I got to hold him one more time, this time without the gloves.  He cured up into, well, a ball in my hand.  Thus, the name.  I love snakes.  Their skin feels so cool, literally and figuratively.

  There's always a good feeling when you can save a creature, and it's even better when you know that the creature was most assuredly lost.  Hope he does OK in his new home.  It's certainly a better life then on some cold concrete on a chilly Florida afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment