Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I'm 52. It's time to get over it.

 I think one of the biggest disservices we do to ourselves and our daughters, literal or figurative, is make a big deal about getting older. Society has decreed that a woman shall never tell her age. That is some how unseemly for you to know how old she is.  And never, ever ask her when she was born. It's a taboo.

 I once asked a woman cutting my hair how long she had been in the business.  "Oh we're not going to go there." she said with a clipped tone and a forced smile. 

 Really?  

 We venerate the likes of Patrick Stewart, Morgan Freeman and other staid, venerable gentleman for the years they have accumulated. The roles they get are often statesmen, advisors, or mentors. They, like a fine red wine, only get better with age. 

 But for women, is it the same?  No one can argue that Sophia Loren or Lauren Bacall are not respected. But do they get the same types of roles? Or are they treated like a white wine, where the best years are limited, and if you wait too long you end up with only vinegar.  

 A quick scan of 35 actresses over 60 years old on IMDB shows 51% of the women with photos from their younger days, while for the photos of 30 actors over 60 only 13% are from their younger days. Is that their choice? or the editors?

 When I was growing up, my mother never made a big deal of her age. At least not that I remember. She never seemed to care. She was the age she was. That made a lasting impression. It was just one of the many life lessons she gave me.  One I haven't forgotten.

 Perhaps I have an advantage.  I don't think I look my age.  I certainly don't act my age.  Being a redhead certainly helps hide the gray hairs.  But if you look closely at my face or neck or hands you can see it.  I exercise regularly, and try to take care of myself.  Like Peter Pan I don't want to grow up, but that doesn't change the fact that I am getting older. We all are. And there is nothing any of us can do about it.

 Lying about our age hurts no one but ourselves. Our daughters look to us and think that's the way things should be. Instead of learning that age brings experience, and with that wisdom, we teach them that it is something to be ashamed of, something to hide from other people for fear they will think less of us if they know how old we really are. In women we focus on how young you are.  We throw away the crone and look only to the maiden, and with that we loose our self-respect.

 Lying about your age doesn't make you look younger, it makes you look stupid.   Lying about your age doesn't change the fact that you are the age you are. Lying about your age only shows your lack of self-esteem. Teaching our daughters that age doesn't matter could be the best lesson of all.

 I'm not shy about my age.  I won't lie about it. Go ahead, ask me. I promise I won't be insulted. I'm 52. Next year, I'll be 53.

 It's time we all get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment