Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Twenty Years.


As I was walking down the stairs to go to the All Hands Meeting this morning, Jack looks up at me from the lobby and says "There's Karen." Sandy says, "I thought she was here today." Uh Oh. That usually means your going to get called out for something at the meeting. Either you've know something they want you to tell everyone about (a project or other event). Or you've done something.

Me? I'd done something...

Hilary had walked in with me... Do you know what's up? Yeah, I had an idea.

Jack started the meeting with it. I was standing on the side with a cup of tea in my hand. "Karreennn" he says, picking up a folder with something small stapled to the front. I put down, my tea, and took one step forward. I paused, "Whhaatt?" It got a good chuckle from everyone. Then I walked up to the front, trying not to blush. Jack looked at me... "Do you know what this is about?" "Yeah, How long I've been here, right?" "Is it two years late?", he said, as these things are usually awarded several years after the fact. No. Keith pipes up "Two years early?" Everyone got a kick out of that, too. It would have been a classic Government move. "Karen has been with the Survey(?) 20 years." Jack continued. "Almost 19" I said, "But yes, just passed 20 years Federal Service." There was a certificate embossed with a seal very similar to the Presidential seal, in silver, with a 20 at the bottom. We are part of the executive branch after all. And a lapel pin. A USGS buffalo with a little banner at the bottom that said '20 years'. In truth, the government always takes about 2 years or more to process these things. Jim got his 10 year pin earlier this year, after being here about 15 years... maybe more. I wasn't expecting to be called out so soon.

It's hard to believe that I've been in this office for 19 years (next month). It's equally as hard to believe I've worked for the government for 20 years, starting with the DOD in Maryland. It really doesn't seem like all that long ago. I'll hang the certificate in my office next to the certificate for 10 years of Federal Service. Have I said I love my job? I do. It's something I consider worth doing, because I serve my country. It's something I'm proud of, and it's something I will, in all probability, do for another 20 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment